Monday 20 February 2012

SHAPING A LIFE OF SERVANTHOOD

with Becca Beusekom

Followers of Jesus understand that service is a way of life, so why should time at college be any different? In students' first year at Columbia they participate in a Service Practicum. Though volunteer work, these service learning opportunities enable students to get involved with the local community in a variety of contexts. The sky is the limit when it comes to areas of ministry. Becca, a current Caregiving and Counselling student, shares about her Service Practicum working with youth.
"I always thought that to make a difference I needed an education or some kind of training. However, through my service practicum working with youth, God has taught me that he can use me whichever way he sees fit and is not limited by my skills. I am learning to trust that God knows what he is doing and I am called to do what he asks me; he will use what I have for His glory. God has equipped me with what I need for my journey, all I need to do is continually draw from his word and be renewed in his strength daily.
Becca with some of her youth
I believe that to make a difference in peoples lives I need to have a servant's heart. Volunteering as a youth leader is teaching me to be humble and have the attitude of a servant. I try to mould myself after the greatest servant of all, Jesus Christ. I hope that, in striving to be more like Christ, I can somehow make a difference. The things I am learning during this practicum will carry with me throughout the rest of my life. The challenges and joys of this experience are shaping me into the person God wants me to be. When I leave this youth group I will take these lessons with me."
Becca Beusekom is currently enrolled in the Caregiving & Counselling program. To find out more about Service Practicum and other service learning opportunities visit www.columbiabc.edu/servicelearning.

No comments:

Post a Comment