Wednesday 7 March 2012

A PASSION FOR OUTDOOR MINISTRY


 by Neil Zandbergen
 
Neil on top of the world.
Outdoor Leadership at Columbia has given my dreams a firm foundation. A passion for outdoor ministry resonated in my heart throughout high school. Having researched schools that offer outdoor programs, I found that most agencies that train outdoor leaders match industry standards but lack the ministry component. Likewise, I found that Christian agencies that train leaders lack the skills necessary to meet outdoor industry standards. The Outdoor Leadership program at Columbia effectively does both. Ministry skills are taught along with the tools necessary to safely lead groups in a wilderness setting. My passion and belief in this ministry is based on its incredible effectiveness. I personally have learned so much about God, creation, and people by spending time outside the confines of urban life. Consistently, strong relational bonds are built along with huge personal growth when people take part in outdoor adventures.

By completing my degree in Outdoor Leadership, I learned valuable skills that cross over into every aspects of life. The program taught mental toughness, organization, communication, problem solving, and so much more. I now have the skills necessary to follow my dreams; to lead and teach people about God and the wonderful world He has placed us in. I give credit to this program for shaping me into who I am today.

Neil graduated with a BA in Outdoor Leadership in 2005. In addition to working in the outdoor industry Neil works for his family roofing business. To learn more about Outdoor Leadership at Columbia visit www.columbiabc.edu/outdoorleadership.



No comments:

Post a Comment