Friday 16 March 2012

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Reframing Men's Spirituality

by Gareth Brandt

Men are famous or infamous as it may be, for being independent sorts. Strong men have traditionally or stereotypically been “lone ranger” types, fiercely independent and self-reliant. Jokes and stories abound about men who are hopelessly lost yet refuse to stop and ask for directions or consult a map. “It must be around here somewhere,” is grumbled after the umpteenth time around the block. When men are injured they often stoically grin and bear it, moving on to the next task or play. “I’ll be fine,” as they hobble along with an excruciating grimace that would make even the most cold-hearted mother reach out with assistance. I’d like to counter this tendency by saying, “Be man enough to ask for help!”

This book has been a communal project. A lot of people helped. Being a man, it did start out that way. My quest began in a tangible way with a four day retreat of complete silence and solitude on Vancouver Island. I was skeptical of the Christian men’s movement but had never spent a lot of time investigating what it was really all about. Maybe I needed to give it a chance. During my retreat I read all the books on men’s spirituality from all perspectives I could get my hands on: secular, Roman Catholic, mainline, evangelical. I read stories of men in the Bible. I wrote in my journal in response. I walked for miles along the beach listening to the waves. My retreat of solitude and silence was a very valuable time for me, but all my reading left me deeply unsatisfied.

I did not set out to write a book on men’s spirituality. I set out on a personal quest. After reading almost a dozen books on the subject I was left with the craving for another voice. And a voice inside said, “Then speak up!” The thought of writing a book on male spirituality terrified me because it seemed that I was just at the beginning of this journey of discovery. But maybe this was a good way to start the journey- by writing about it. It did not matter if anyone else would ever read it.

Although I am an introvert and was invigorated by my retreat, after my time of solitude I was convinced that this is not the path to a healthy and holistic male spirituality. This path must be traveled in company with other men: men of the Bible, my spiritual ancestors throughout history, and most importantly my friends, brothers and colleagues. Are we all traveling alone thinking that this is the only way to go?

Purchase your copy of Under Construction

I wondered about the possibility of discussing my writings with a small group of men. I e-mailed a few dozen friends from my church and colleagues at work and in less than 24 hours I had a table full of men (and a waiting list!) that were interested reading my writings and then meeting together at a local pub on a regular basis to talk about male spirituality.

In conversation I began mentioning to people what I was working on during my sabbatical and found an unexpected and enthusiastic interest in this men’s spirituality project. Because of the interest I thought I might increase the circle of conversation by starting a “virtual” group as well and contacted acquaintances across the continent. Again, within a very short time I had a response of about 30 people who were interested in reading and responding to what I was writing and a number suggested others they knew who would be interested.

How did it come about that I used the story of Joseph in the Old Testament as an outline for the book? As I was reading books about men’s spirituality I wondered whether the archetypal models are particularly Christian or biblical. As a Christ-follower, it is important for me that the metaphors, models and motifs for male spirituality come from the authorities and traditions of my life. The Bible, as a revelation of God’s story and God’s person, as well as the human story, is an important authority in my life. What biblical story would help me in exploring men’s spirituality?

Perhaps it would be good to see all the men in the Bible as our community of spiritual wanderers. They have great variety and so do we, but for simplicity of presentation it would be good to have one narrative. Is there a story of one man that might provide us with a multiplicity of metaphors for male spirituality? I had a dream during my retreat that said it should be Joseph. How can I argue a dream!?

2 Aside from the dream there is more about why Joseph is a good choice in chapter 3 of the book.

An interview with Gareth about his book, Under Construction: Reframing Men's Spirituality. 
 

Gareth Brandt cycles to work every day in Abbotsford, BC where he teaches practical theology at Columbia Bible College. His educational background includes degrees in spirituality, theology and psychology with an emphasis on the spiritual formation of young adults. He has a background in congregational and denominational youth ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment